For many people, having a profitable enterprise on the web can be a complex and sometimes daunting prospect, especially for those who are just starting out. In order to have a high search rating, you need to make sure you have content that is of high quality and accurate with no grammatical mistakes. But like the artist who paints wonderful paintings and never exhibits them, instead just keeps them at home, it makes it hard to sell any, as very few people will see them.
To get traffic to your website, you need to make it accessible, in the same way as content is king on the internet, backlinks are Queen. This is because backlinks are the only way people can find your site without your addresss.
So just what are backlinks? When a website connects to or with another site, it forms a link or a pathway, this is the only way for search engines to find you.
The World Wide Web was named because of these links between websites and web pages that create a web of links.
When a new website is created it needs to be submitted to Google. If this is not done and there are no links to it, then it can not be found, essentially it is not part of the WWW. As soon as another site links to your new site it joins it to the web through that link and makes it possible for the search engines to discover your site and make it findable by others.
Sometimes, especially on a new website, it can be time consuming to get good backlinks, they do not just appear because you have great content, a pretty website or do something newsworthy.
Although creating or earning backlinks is essential some backlinks are more valuable than others, when you get backlinks from popular and trustworthy high authority sites they are much more valuable than those from low volume, low authority sites.
Backlinks are considered Queen because they signal to the different search engines that other web users and sites vouch for your content. The more sites that link to the same web page the higher the chances of search engines inferring that a page is worth a higher rating in the search engine and internet visibility.
There are a few ways of getting good backlinks for a website:
- Google Alerts is a good way to find sites that mention your business or brand, when you come across one without a link, send them a friendly email
- Place interesting stories on social media sites like Facebook, YouTube etc and include your brand or business name so people can like to you for more content
- Give your story to the local radio, TV or Newspaper, they like local success stories and may feature yours
- Be active reading other peoples blogs and web pages that are in similar fields to yours and contribute in guest sports, enter competitions and reply to relevant comments
- Link to all sites that are relevant to your site and fields of expertise
Make sure you stay up to date with Google’s Webmaster Guidelines regarding building backlinks and their restrictions as they can penalize you and de-index your web pages and content. For those who do not understand SEO are not up to date with the latest methods or just do not have time to spend building quality links it is worthwhile engaging a SEO Expert to do it for you